Friday, June 3, 2011

 


CrossFit as a Magnifying Glass
from Shoreline CrossFit

     It took me four years of high school to realize that I was a poor writer.  Four years. What a shocker senior year when I took my first honors class and got a D on my first paper.  You see, up until this point, I had taken all easy classes…The types of classes that I just had to show up to and I would get an A.  My mediocre work was sufficient, and the A’s I received padded my academic ego.

     This is often the case with CrossFit.   Many of us coast through life injury free, lifting slowly at gyms with poor form, or playing recreationally at a sport that slowly beats our bodies down due to poor movement.
    
     Then we join CrossFit….A few months in, we develop a lower back, shoulder, or knee injury.  We dismiss CrossFit as destructive, dangerous, and the culprit of our injury.
     This is not the case.  We fumble through our lives; some minorly, some more majorly athletic; relatively injury free.  Then we embark upon (for most of us) the most intense athletic experience of our lives: CrossFit.  CrossFit brings injuries to the surface that have been latent for years; a sort of magnifying glass, so to speak.
     Our poor posture, shoddy squat form, tendency to pronate our feet, and inability to pick up heavy objects with proper form, beat on our bodies for decades.  Then, we put our bodies under extra duress and are flabbergasted when injury rears its ugly head.

     This is why it is important that we correct for before we add load, and don’t risk form for intensityIt’s just like when I was in high school…you can get injured and go back to the globo-gym~merely preventing the inevitable.  I could have gone back down to the the easy class and gotten A’s again, but this would not have made me a better writer. My struggle made me stronger.  Stick with CrossFit~correct your posture; learn how to pick things up quickly with proper form~and you will be rewarded in the long run.





No comments:

Post a Comment