Friday, April 22, 2011

EVERYONE BELONGS
from CrossFit Ocean City

     There were a few things that were brought to my attention this week that really got me thinking about the impact CrossFit has on people's lives -- even those who don't, or won't, give it a try.  Some are taught not to push.  Some think we're a cult.  And others aren't really sure they belong.  

TAUGHT NOT TO PUSH
     From Seth Godin's blog today came this:  "Perhaps I shouldn't be pushing people who want something but have been taught not to push themselves."  While Seth's context is more in the realm of business, his quote can be applied equally to me as a coach.  Let me explain.
     Here's what I see all the time at CrossFit.  Someone joins the gym because a friend joined and they heard you can get really fit.  Unfortunately, there's no real desire there to actually do the work required to get fit. Rather, the individual is accustomed to joining a gym, any gym, and expecting a change just because they paid the membership fee rather than really do some work. The work required is truly that - WORK.  That work includes showing up to class on time, ready to train, and willing to push the limits no matter what the WOD may be.  That work also includes tracking prior workouts to know where you've been and where you're going.  That work also requires some small, but important and essential, lifestyle changes to nutrition.
There are those who "get it" and there are those who "don't."  I sometimes think that perhaps I shouldn't push those who "don't" get it because the ones who "do" deserve my 100% coaching attention.  But, fortunately, over time, people evolve enough through CrossFit to see some real changes.  Many end up "getting it", so it's worth my effort to coach them.  

CROSSFIT OR CULTFIT?
     Another interesting theme I've seen over the years, and was reminded of just yesterday, is the public perception of CrossFit as some kind of cult.  I just have to laugh at that mindset.  Why is it that those who don't, or won't, even try CrossFit look upon those who do with some wild eyed skepticism and the belief that we're akin to cult?  I won't pretend to understand their thought process, so I'll just explain who we are. We, CrossFitters, are just a group of enthusiastic, like-minded individuals who happen to appreciate hard workouts that involve doing things outside what one normally does in traditional gyms. On the whole, CrossFitters are the most inclusive, humble, honest, and supportive athletes I've ever known.  The CrossFit gyms are havens for positive, healthy, and inspiring individuals and the workouts take on a sense of belonging and atmosphere that become the daily high points for each and every CrossFitter.  If that's a cult, then I guess my understanding of cults is misguided.

EVERYONE BELONGS
     The other thing I heard this week was one particular individual's struggle with belonging.  She's committed, consistent, and works hard.  She's taken on the whole concept of CrossFit training and has switched to a more Paleo style of eating so as to up the quality of her nutrition.  Unfortunately, she still feels like she doesn't belong.  Quite the contrary - everyone who wants to belong, belongs.  CrossFit isn't just about workouts for elite athletes, though that's part of the tag line.  We scale load and intensity to suit the needs of all of our athletes - young, old, elite, newbie, injured, and handicapped.  CrossFit isn't just about competitions, though it does foster a competitive environment.  In addition to all the competitions that the CrossFit community at large offers, we regularly promote local challenges to keep people engaged and to foster more opportunities to push one's self.  CrossFit isn't just about women, though the numbers of women dominate over men.  I'd really like to see more men train with us, but I know first hand that most are too ego driven to try it.  
     So, what does it take to belong to the CrossFit community?  It's easy to be as involved as you need or want to be.  For some, they can't get enough and regularly check the blog, the CrossFit.com site, read other CrossFit gym postings, and follow all that CrossFit has to offer.  For others, just getting to the gym twice a week is more than enough involvement.  You don't need to be first to finish the WOD to belong.  You don't need to have the most fit physique to belong.  You don't need to compete in the CrossFit Games to belong. It doesn't matter where you are on the spectrum as long as you're willing to take a few chances with your fitness, explore what CrossFit has to offer, and train hard.  Do that, and you belong.

FINAL THOUGHTS
     CrossFit has had, and continues to have, a profound affect on me.  It's taught me to push harder than I ever imagined I could.  As a result, I got my health back and have pushed back the aging process somewhat. CrossFit gave me an opportunity to start a new business venture that impacts the lives of hundreds of others in our community.  That's a gift I would never have dreamed of.  CrossFit opened my eyes to the notion that it's okay to fail as long as you never quit.  Until CrossFit, I never took the risks I do now.  CrossFit's given me a chance to spend quality time with my wife and kids.  And, through CrossFit, this blog has given me a chance to reach out to the world.  CrossFit has made me push my limits - both physically and mentally, it isn't even close to a cult, but it is a community to which I'm proud to say that I belong.


http://www.crossfittherack.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment